Can you get dentures in one day? Well, yes you can but you can’t just pop into the dentist office without making prior arrangements.
Plus, one day dentures and immediate dentures are two different things altogether. So it is good to understand the difference so that you know what you may be in for before asking if it is right for you.
Before we go further, let’s look at these two different terms and what they mean.
One way you can get same day dentures is when you have all of your teeth removed in a single sitting. On the same day, after the procedure, you receive your new pre-made dentures.
But before this can happen you have to spend at least two weeks following a number of steps with the dentist to get to this point.
Dentures are constructed during the weeks leading up to the final procedure to replace your teeth. The process is involved (see below for more detailed information on the process) but after your teeth are removed, the final step is a fitting of your dentures.
The advantage to this method is that you do not have to spend any time without teeth. Gums also heal faster as a result of this process.
One Day Dentures
One day dentures is another way you can get dentures in a day. This procedure differs in that the clinic requires access to a dentist with a lab attached to the clinic. This way, the dentures can be manufactured on the same day as your visit. Essentially the normal denture steps are followed but condensed into a shorter time frame.
If you have already had all of your teeth removed, the dentures in the same day procedure may be an option. This method can also be done over 2 or 3 days, with your teeth being extracted on the 1st day, and then the making and fitting of the dentures on following days.
It starts with molds of your teeth and gums taken by your dentist. They are handed over to the lab next door and wax dentures are made to check the fit in your mouth. The dentist fits them, takes measurements and the lab gets this information and makes the final dentures from that data.
The completed dentures come back, you have a fitting and then you are done. It’s a rather high-speed way to get dentures completed but for some, it is preferred over extractions and dentures in the same day.
Make sure that you check out the short video below that explains these dentures in a day procedure in a bit more detail:
There are advantages and disadvantages to both methods. Let’s look at those.
Immediate Dentures – Detailed Information
We’ve already mentioned the primary advantage of going this route – you don’t have to go without teeth for any length of time. Here are some more advantages…
- These dentures will look more natural in color and shape compared to your natural teeth
- Immediate dentures can speed up the healing process of your gums and soft tissue by acting as a sort of Band-Aid when placed in the mouth
- Speech patterns can be picked up quickly. With other dentures, you may need to relearn how to speak
- Chewing is easier with immediate dentures.
However, there are a couple disadvantages to immediate dentures. They include…
- Dentures will require relining, or a new denture purchased, after 3 to 6 months due to bone shrinkage (if you do need new dentures, you may be able to use the old ones as a spare, in case you damage your new dentures)
- Dentures requiring relining may become painful to wear
- These are expensive dentures to purchase
- You won’t be able to see how these dentures will look until they are inserted in your mouth
- Immediate dentures may not fit well at first as gums and soft tissue heal.
Why Do Immediate Dentures Cost More?
The additional cost for these dentures comes from the extra time required for construction. Plus, there will be several follow-up visits necessary for adjustments and re-fitting. This can go on for up to six months as the gums and soft tissue completely heal. A final fitting takes place at this time.
Can Anyone Have Immediate Dentures?
Your oral health will be the determining factor as to whether or not you are a good candidate for this procedure. Your dentist will review the process with you and you may be advised against using this method for false teeth.
What Is The Process For Immediate Dentures?
A series of four or five dental visits will be required at the beginning of the process. These visits will be to work on the construction of the false teeth. There may also be preliminary surgery. Back teeth may be removed anywhere from six to eight weeks before the fabrication phase begins.
The fabrication phase will include visits for impressions, bite records, selection of teeth and related details. The day of delivery will include oral surgery to remove more teeth and the insertion of the immediate denture. Adjustments will be made in follow-up visits.
One Day Dentures – Detailed Information
- The top advantage of this system is that you get your dentures very, very fast.
However, there are several disadvantages and they include the following:
- These dentures may not fit well
- Quickly made dentures may not look as good because quality may decrease in relation to the speed in which the dentures are completed
- You have to visit the dentist a lot with several appointments leading up to the day you receive your dentures.
Can Anyone Have One Day Dentures?
There are basically two types of people the dentures in one day method is suitable for:
- If you have had teeth recently extracted and your gums and soft tissue have completely healed, you can benefit from this kind of denture.
- If you are a prior denture wearer looking for an alternative, this can work for you as well.
What Is The Process For One Day Dentures?
First off, there has to be a processing lab either in the dentist office or attached to it in order for tooth extraction and dentures in the same day can be accomplished.
You must also be prepared for the dentures to be made from existing teeth in stock and not custom made to match your teeth.
The dental visit will involve impressions of your teeth, gums, and dentures that you have had (if you are a prior denture wearer). This is followed by bite blocks, bite registration and a wax try-on set for fitting purposes. These will be adjusted for function and appearance.
Any teeth that need to be removed will be at this time. The wax dentures will then be inserted once more for adjustments and fitting. The final set will then be processed and finished in acrylic. Once completed, your new dentures are inserted and the job is done.
See the video below for more information on how you can get dentures in the same day…
The Fast Way To A New Set Of Teeth
There is no doubt that immediate dentures and dentures made in a day are the fastest alternatives to getting false teeth. Both have advantages and disadvantages.
Your specific situation should guide you on which method is the best for you to improve your smile without missing a beat.
As every situation is slightly different, make sure to discuss what is involved in detail with your dentist so you can be confident that you are making the best choice and know exactly what is involved when looking for same day dentures.